Need advice: move to LV for game development? (English only)

Gribi par to parunāt? Vienīgā vieta, kur drīkst runāt ne tikai par spēlēm
sam

Re: Need advice: move to LV for game development? (English o

#21 Post by sam » 05 Apr 2018, 01:42

Other guy is a troll, trust me.

If you want to win the lottery, you have to make the money to buy a ticket.

@Amnvex
Im sure you have couple of friends in Latvia too.

Amnvex

#22 Post by Amnvex » 05 Apr 2018, 01:53

sam wrote:Other guy is a troll, trust me.

If you want to win the lottery, you have to make the money to buy a ticket.

@Amnvex
Im sure you have couple of friends in Latvia too.
Yes, I agree with you. Skills are a way to make money. If you can get the skills.

Actually, no. I left so long ago that I don't know anyone. My father and grandmother are there, but neither wants to communicate (it's a complicated story, but not a very long ago). Haven't been able to find them, either, so I don't know their exact locations. I know no one in Latvia because of this. I left when I was so young...

sam

#23 Post by sam » 05 Apr 2018, 02:40

I would recommend that movie.. the guy has an interesting attitude .... how he reached his goal

The attitude what matters and not the hard work, don't you agree?
Hard work *not equal* good results.

So what .. why you need family if they so don't care about you... do you need a tour guide now?

sam

#24 Post by sam » 06 Apr 2018, 00:16

Oh now you again playing a dead fish.

:x :x :x

elvman

#25 Post by elvman » 06 Apr 2018, 00:59

sam wrote:The attitude what matters and not the hard work, don't you agree?
Oh, so what you are saying is that all it takes to be successful is sitting at home watching TV and having the best attitude in the world? I think you are wrong, totally wrong. Hard work is what shows your attitude. If you are not bothered to work hard enough to earn something then you are just a lazy guy that thinks he knows how to be successful.

PS. Movies are the best source of knowledge on how to become successful :)
Beidz runāt, sāc darīt!

bunkovskyyy

#26 Post by bunkovskyyy » 06 Apr 2018, 01:07

Hehe, some parts of this thread are becoming quite amusing. (the pessimism about local industry and calling others trolls and dead fishes) :D

@Amnvex If you are planning to move to LV - don't worry, there are game companies that need 2D/3D artists here, if you have good skills you will find a job. Pay is not at the same level as nordic countries/uk and similar, but cost of living in Latvia is also lower.
That said - best scenario is moving here for living and working as outsourced freelancer in a steady gig remotely, so you get that non-local $. (or from co-working space if you preffer other people around you)

Amnvex

#27 Post by Amnvex » 06 Apr 2018, 01:14

sam wrote:I would recommend that movie.. the guy has an interesting attitude .... how he reached his goal

The attitude what matters and not the hard work, don't you agree?
Hard work *not equal* good results.

So what .. why you need family if they so don't care about you... do you need a tour guide now?
Sorry, was busy with some stuff. It happens :P, certainly not dead here.

What movie are we talking about, exactly?

My family doesn't care about me because there's a nationalism issue. My father's family claims we're Russians (actually we're Eastern Europeans by genetics, not Russians--we tested by DNA--but my grandparents had ties to the Soviet Union). This caused a lot of fighting in the family. Also, my father didn't know how to take care of me (according to my mother), which is why they've cut all connections to us.

I don't really need a tour guide. I only know one place, though: Ventspils. It's the only thing I remember (where I grew up).
elvman wrote:
sam wrote:The attitude what matters and not the hard work, don't you agree?
Oh, so what you are saying is that all it takes to be successful is sitting at home watching TV and having the best attitude in the world? I think you are wrong, totally wrong. Hard work is what shows your attitude. If you are not bothered to work hard enough to earn something then you are just a lazy guy that thinks he knows how to be successful.

PS. Movies are the best source of knowledge on how to become successful :)
Lol, you are funny to say that. I have to go agree, actions do speak louder than words. An attitude is good--a positive one--but it isn't enough if you don't do anything about whatever it is that you need to do. Then I have something else to add: it's not only about hard work, but efficient work. You can either move a rock with your own hands, or you can use a machine to help you move the rock. It may not necessarily be hard work. Still, actions are actions, and they prove your attitude more than thinking thoughts alone. No one ever succeeded who did nothing but think all day long or, as you elvman put: sitting at home watching TV and having the best attitude in the world :lol:
bunkovskyyy wrote:Hehe, some parts of this thread are becoming quite amusing. (the pessimism about local industry and calling others trolls) :D

@Amnvex If you are planning to move to LV - don't worry, there are game companies that need 2D/3D artists here, if you have good skills you will find a job. Pay is not at the same level as nordic countries/uk and similar, but cost of living in Latvia is also lower.
That said - best scenario is moving here for living and working as outsourced freelancer in a steady gig remotely, so you get that non-local $. (or from co-working space if you preffer other people around you)
Hah, I'm glad you're enjoying the show.

The problem is that I have no idea how to start or where to start. I also can't really find any companies that need 2D/3D artists. Where are they all? Does Latvia not use LinkedIn? Is it still the mid 1990s there? Everything frozen in time?

So, what you're saying is move to LV but get paid a salary from a different country that is in the EU? I don't quite follow. Please explain in more detail. It seems LV may be better for retirement, then. I also have plans for having children... would prefer them to be Latvians :)

bunkovskyyy

#28 Post by bunkovskyyy » 06 Apr 2018, 01:20

Amnvex wrote:
sam wrote: The problem is that I have no idea how to start or where to start. I also can't really find any companies that need 2D/3D artists. Where are they all? Does Latvia not use LinkedIn? Is it still the mid 1990s there? Everything frozen in time?

So, what you're saying is move to LV but get paid a salary from a different country that is in the EU? I don't quite follow. Please explain in more detail. It seems LV may be better for retirement, then. I also have plans for having children... would prefer them to be Latvians :)
Most go around hiring people with word of mouth/facebook/local networks in my experience. Nothing is frozen in time, its just not very efficient to use other channels if you can reach people directly. Some do use those networks occasionally, but it is quicker to ask around in local gamedev meetup.

Yea. Basically that is one option that pays well. You get a steady freelance client (game company/individuals that are making games) and work with them as outsourced/remote/freelance artist. You get good pay and can live wherever you want. :)

Edit * i think i saw in one of the posts that you dont want to work remotely, but its not really that messy.
Last edited by bunkovskyyy on 06 Apr 2018, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.

sam

#29 Post by sam » 06 Apr 2018, 01:23

@elvman

Labdien. Tu vari man piemiekt ar aci?

Es neiteic ka jāsēž mājās . .es teicu ka tam tam čālim tajā filmā ir attitude, tas ir.. ka vinš uzdrošinjājas iet tālāk ka citi..

Esi dzirdējis teicineu 'Work smart not hard'?
Lai nu kā.. tu nepažisti man un tu arī nepazīsti kas tas otrs čalis tāds ir.. un viņš ir pilnīgs kretīns un neviens šeit nopienti nerunā.

Tā filma man tiešam palīdzeja, jā.

Amnvex

#30 Post by Amnvex » 08 Apr 2018, 21:36

bunkovskyyy wrote:
Amnvex wrote:
sam wrote: The problem is that I have no idea how to start or where to start. I also can't really find any companies that need 2D/3D artists. Where are they all? Does Latvia not use LinkedIn? Is it still the mid 1990s there? Everything frozen in time?

Most go around hiring people with word of mouth/facebook/local networks in my experience. Nothing is frozen in time, its just not very efficient to use other channels if you can reach people directly. Some do use those networks occasionally, but it is quicker to ask around in local gamedev meetup.

Yea. Basically that is one option that pays well. You get a steady freelance client (game company/individuals that are making games) and work with them as outsourced/remote/freelance artist. You get good pay and can live wherever you want. :)

Edit * i think i saw in one of the posts that you dont want to work remotely, but its not really that messy.
Local gamedev meetup? That would require physical presence in Latvia.

And I always wanted to be part of a company, not a free-lancer. Freelancing is not stable, and it doesn't give any benefits. Freelancers also have to pay higher taxes and if you get dropped from the company as a contractor, you're sitting on your ass with nothing. It's not that I don't want to work remotely--it's that I've never seen a successful game studio where the designers are remote.

Yes, remote work works in the short term, but can you keep doing remote work for a decade, working for whatever company? Finding a job is already hard as it is. Having to do that every single time you finish a project is even harder. And what if you have a family? That's not a good way to sustain yourself. It just seems that it will be better for me to directly apply to a game company that has a website (unlike Latvian companies, hah) that's looking for my kind of skill and see if they'll take me. This means looking for work around Europe in general. As I said earlier, that is probably going to be my path in addition to networking on social media.

Return to “Pļāpātuve / Offtopic”