Need advice: move to LV for game development? (English only)

Gribi par to parunāt? Vienīgā vieta, kur drīkst runāt ne tikai par spēlēm
Amnvex

Need advice: move to LV for game development? (English only)

#1 Post by Amnvex » 19 Mar 2018, 23:25

Hi, people of GameDev forums.

I got a question that I need your advice on! Here's my deal: I am from LV originally, but stopped speaking the language around 10-11 when I moved away. This is why I rely on English (my 3rd language), and I still speak Russian quite well when I need to. I also know Chinese (intermediate), and about to learn another language (German?). Anyway, the thing is that I'm a student and am majoring in 2d/3d modelling. I should be done within a year and a half if all goes to plan. That leads me to wonder what to do after I finish, which is why I'm posting here to ask for advice. Considering I stopped using Latvian when I was young, I'd have to relearn quite a bit of it (which I'm about to try to do on my own). But I understand a lot of game studios (indie or not) may not require it. If that doesn't work, I could teach ESL (I'm a professionally certificated teacher, despite getting a degree in game design).

For the people who know game development in LV, how is the industry? Is it big enough to find a job in what I'm majoring in? For example, I could try applying to Dice in Sweden, or Guerrilla Games in Netherlands, or some other company somewhere else. That's why I'm wondering how viable it is for me to head back to LV. As a side note, my LV family doesn't care about me out of stupid reasons and refuse contact, which means I can only rely on myself to move back.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance, and I'll be watching this topic for any replies.

Holybreath

Re: Need advice: move to LV for game development? (English o

#2 Post by Holybreath » 23 Mar 2018, 16:39

The industry is pretty much dead, apart from some Ok-ish mobile game development studios. There are some Indie attempts that might bring some hope, but time will tell.

Can you include your portfolio in the post, perhaps?

谢谢

Amnvex

#3 Post by Amnvex » 24 Mar 2018, 08:25

Holybreath wrote:The industry is pretty much dead, apart from some Ok-ish mobile game development studios. There are some Indie attempts that might bring some hope, but time will tell.

Can you include your portfolio in the post, perhaps?

谢谢
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

If you say the industry is pretty much dead, then I guess I don't know what point there is in trying to go back home :( but I'll keep my options open, nonetheless. Maybe I can also do voices or something else... after all, my English pronunciation is flawless.

As for portfolio, I haven't done anything yet that is worth showing because I'm still taking pre-requisites for my classes (things like arduino programming and javascript that are irrelevant to game design but required to take more advanced classes). I still need about a year and a half before I go farther. 而且因為我在台灣學了國語,我不太懂簡體字。我希望我可以練習簡體字因為台灣國外沒有地方用這個。This puts me at a disadvantage of some sort if I have to actually read or write (since speaking is unaffected, more or less). I'm sure if a company really cares, I'll invest more into it and learn simplified. If time allows, I intend to take certificate courses after my graduation or in-between to boost my skills. I know we have an internship that we have to do, too. That'll give real world applicability to what we learn.

sam

#4 Post by sam » 01 Apr 2018, 19:36

I'm not imagining things... Latvia has technical companies or web development .. .. but software products ..nah

but Latvia has Huge potential! And welcome for people! like you!

Amnvex

#5 Post by Amnvex » 02 Apr 2018, 00:53

sam wrote:I'm not imagining things... Latvia has technical companies or web development .. .. but software products ..nah

but Latvia has Huge potential! And welcome for people! like you!
Yes, Latvia does have technical companies and web development (not interested in web development personally). As for software products, I know Latvia doesn't have this.

The potential is huge, indeed. I know Lithuania is trying to become technical, but I don't know the language and it is harder to learn because I never spoke it (I'm also not a citizen there). How long would Latvia need to develop its potential? I don't know. I don't think anyone knows, even. I can't wait, though, because I have to leave by end of next year and if the opportunity to work in LV isn't there, I need to go to another EU country. Maybe after establishing myself in EU I could go back. *shrug*

sam

#6 Post by sam » 02 Apr 2018, 01:58

Yeah, like worldwide router manufacturer MikroTik.. technical.

Latvia has the potential right now.. we just need people like you, to come here right now and use that potential to make all the great stuff happen...

Also, good luck with your family!

Amnvex

#7 Post by Amnvex » 02 Apr 2018, 06:13

Yes, but all I can do is 3D/2D graphics. What kind of company could possibly hire me? I'd be useless, I think, in Latvia if there aren't companies who specialize in such (like gaming companies). It seems all gaming is dead in Latvia. Maybe I am wrong... my Latvian isn't very good, after all. But I know there are classes in Rīga and I am sure I could take those if needed as they are provided by the government.

Do you have any suggestions?

And thanks--I hope I can some day figure out where they are (I'm sure there are ways :P).

sam

#8 Post by sam » 02 Apr 2018, 14:24

Yeah, but you could just work for clients online, or sell assets online.. you don't need to be part of company here.

Well, I hope someone will help us figure out where are 'they as sometime i feel lost as you. :arrow: :?:

Amnvex

#9 Post by Amnvex » 02 Apr 2018, 22:18

sam wrote:Yeah, but you could just work for clients online, or sell assets online.. you don't need to be part of company here.

Well, I hope someone will help us figure out where are 'they as sometime i feel lost as you. :arrow: :?:
I would feel much more comfortable, knowing that I can go to an office. 100% remote work isn't very convenient when you need to discuss with your team on how to make something. It's good to have office meetings and be part of a relaxed environment. And to be honest, America is one of the worst countries I've ever been to. For this reason, I am not going to stay here permanently. Everything here is a lie. That's why I don't really want to stay home all day. At least not in the U.S. Also, I taught English. I did it remotely before, too. I could do that remotely now, even, to teach Chinese students or something. It's not as fun as doing it in person, however.

I can only come to the same conclusion as I had earlier, based on what I've gathered from what you've said and based on my research: If Latvia isn't the place to go for work, then it seems another EU country is a better option. If and when Latvia develops enough, I will consider doing a job there.

sam

#10 Post by sam » 02 Apr 2018, 23:23

Yeah, whatever floats your boat, your life your choices.

Which country are you thinking about going next?

*wishing I could go with you*

Return to “Pļāpātuve / Offtopic”